August 15, 2005

Makin' Moves

Finally! After waiting and waiting and waiting, the Wolves finally did something productive this offseason. In case you didn't notice, the Wolves shipped Sam Cassell to the Clippers for Marco Jaric and Lionel Chalmers. Jaric, a 6-7 combo guard, will take over as the starting point guard for the Wolves. He averaged 9.9ppg and 6.1apg last season, both career highs. Some are upset to see Cassell go. I am not. Sure, I loved what Sam did two years ago, becoming an All-Star for the first time in his career. Sure, there are few point guards I'd rather have on the floor in the fourth quarter of a close game. What I don't appreciate is his contant lip flapping about things that are not related to the team and winning. Things like his contract, or Spree's contract, or his attitude that he took the Wolves to the brink of a championship. Right Sam, whatever. Sam never thanked KG for turning him into an All-Star, where as KG thanked Sam and Spree for helping him to his MVP award. Fuck you Sam and good riddence.

As last season came to a close, the Wolves had four world class fuck ups on their squad. Spree won't be back and Sam is out. Two gone, two to go. As in the previous blog, I pray every night that Cleveland trades for Hudson. I do. I really pray for him to not be a Timberwolf next year. The other is Bowl of Candy. I know they say God is good and God is just, but I don't think the person who said that knew just how worthless Michael Olowokandi is as a basketball player. But alas, I'm off on another tangent. Back to what matters.

Marco Jaric. He hasn't played enough to show how good he is, but he's shown flashes of what he can do. I know Sam scored, pretty much at will, but where Sam was really bad, Marco is dramatically better. Marco can run the break. He can run an offense. He plays defense. He's long, strong, and quick. He's as good of a three point shooter as Sam was, but not quite as accurate from the field. He averages more rebounds, steals, and blocks than Sam did. And he turns it over less. Marco has improved each year in 3-point FG%, RPG, APG, SPG, and PPG. He's finally playing with a great player in KG, and has some shooters around him, so this should be a break out year for him. But of course, he did come from the Clippers, so he could be another Kandiman. I don't think he could be that bad, but again, I didn't think Kandi could be as bad as he is.

No comments: