May 19, 2010

2010 NBA Durrr - I mean Dra-urrrr. Damn It! NBA Draft!

Not that we, as Wolves fans, should've expected anything more than picking 2 spots below where we should be picking, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing. Kahn! jinxed us earlier this week when he said there were three players that were worthy of being the top pick. Just by saying that he doomed us to the #4 pick. I'd also be interested to hear who Kahn! thought the third player was? John Wall and Evan Turner are no-brainers, but after that you have issues. I guess maybe it was Derrick Favors. Wes Johnson, who most mock drafts have us taking, would be a fine pick, although I don't see him being a star. He's been compared to Joe Johnson, who's turned into a pretty good player - not a max guy in my opinion, but better than Rashard Lewis. By the way, how's that working out against the C's SVG? But I digress...

Dickfer nailed it as far as McFail taking Cole Aldrich. I mean he's white, he's big, and he's from Minnesota. McFail would be drafting himself. I pray to God that's not what Kahn! does. I don't want Greg Ostertag II on my team. Of course McFail could also go in a slightly different direction and take Demarcus Cousins. Based on his Isaiah Rider pick, he didn't have too much of a problem taking attitude problems - and Cousins will be an attitude problem. If they took Cousins or Aldrich I think that would be it for me as far as the Wolves go. I had a hard enough time watching the garbage that was on the court last year.

I also think Dickfer is right about trading down. It'll depend on Wes Johnson's workout, but I think they'll trade down unless he blows them away.

So who do they trade with? Hard to say. Kahn! talks about all the assets we have but, other than picks, I'm not so sure anyone else in the league is interested in what we have. According to the rumor mill there is some talk that Houston and Portland are interested in trading up to #3 or #4, although who knows how desperate they are to do so. Portland has pick #22 which does us no good and frankly they don't really have any players they'd be willing to part with that I'd be willing to trade the #4 pick for. I'd be interested in Rudy Fernandez but only because having him on the roster may make it more likely that Ricky Rubio plays at least one NBA game in a Wolves jersey. I'd need more than that though - say Przybilla and another first round pick next year. I still don't think that'd be enough for me.

Houston is a bit more intriguing, although I'm not sure how possible a deal would be there either. With Yao bitten by the injury bug and no real back up option at center, there is a possibility that they might be willing to take on Al Jefferson and his reasonable contract. He would fit their style of play as he's about as mobile as Yao. And $13 million for a 20-10 guy who doesn't negatively affect your locker room is not a bad deal.

Package Al with the #4 pick for Kevin Martin, Chase Budinger, and the #14 pick. Based on mock drafts, Ekpe Udoh is available at #14.

Of course if they did this, I'd suggest throwing out the triangle offense and run something more like Phoenix does. Pick and rolls all day, from all over. Flynn and Love up top with Martin and Budinger spreading the floor. It looks good when I write it.

You would also have to pray there'd be someone that Houston liked as much as they like Kevin Martin, which is unlikely, but this is the type of deal the Wolves should shoot for.

Here's praying Evan Turner somehow slips to 4.

No comments: