January 30, 2006

What I'd Like To See

The trade is only two games old, but I've watched more basketball in the past weekend than I had the entire season up to that point. This season has been hard to watch, usually leading to me yelling at the TV and getting upset at the lack of talent, passion, and effort of my team. It got to the point that I was better off not watching them play, which isn't reflective of my love of this team, but rather a reflection of my expectations when watching them play. Like my cohort stated, the outcome of this season was predictable: Disappointing losses, maybe make the playoffs, no draft pick, repeat next year. Then Danny Ainge showed up with some Skittles and Kevin McHale gave up some M&M's and now he has a different bowl of candy - yes, pun heavily intended.

We've spent some time talking about our opinions of this trade and what it has brought and taken from our beloved team, so I won't go on repeating myself incesantly like I'm apt to do. Instead, I'm going to list out the things that I'd like to see from the team, most specifically, the guys we just got from Boston.

Ricky Davis - I'd like to see him spend the next 5-7 years in a Wolves uniform, if not the rest of his career. He's young, he's athletic, and he's still developing. Ricky plays with emotional abandon just like KG, which is exactly what Kevin needs. He's not the only piece they'll need, but he's a great fit for the stud on the squad. And if I hear one more thing about Cleveland, I'll punch you - it was 3 years ago, get over it. Although, I'd really love to see that afro come back.

Mark Blount - Hopefully everyone will get that his name is pronounced like it should be - BLUNT. I could make a few comparisons to what that might mean, but we'll leave that for the Gorilla Lounge. I'd like to see a return to form for him. When he signed the big contract he's got now he was coming off a season in which he scored 10.3ppg and grabbed 7.3rpg. Anything close to those would help this team greatly. He's turnover and foul prone and his rep is that he can't rebound, but hopefully he can buy into Casey's system and flourish in it. This being said, I was excited when Kandi was brought on board, so I'm not going to hold my breath. For very long anyways.

Marcus Banks - I want to see this kid get a chance. I want to see him play. He was the 13th overall pick in the 2003 draft and has show promise on both ends of the floor. Banks ended up in the Doc Rivers Dog House, but hopefully in new scenery and a different system, he can become our point guard of the future.

Justin Reed - Sure he was a post player in college, but so was Ron Artest. Now, before you bite my head off, I'm not saying he's Ron Artest. What I'm saying is that he's a big, physical player, who's not quite big enough to play the 4 in the NBA. He could, however, develop into a bruising wing player given the right situation. What I want is to see this kid on the floor as much as possible. Reed is very raw, but has shown potential. He's young but you can tell he loves the game and is dedicated to making himself into a seviceable pro. His draft capsule from last year projected him as a Jumaine Jones, but I believe he has the potential to have more impact.

The Second Round Picks - This is where I think the Wolves could really benefit by spending some more money and time. Scouting. Scouting, scouting, scouting. They're going to end up with 4-5 second round picks in the next two seasons and no first rounders, so why not try to make the most of those picks. Send more people to Europe, for more time, and to look at more players. Send a couple more guys out to look at the mid-major college players who may not be on the big radar. Great players come out of the second round once in a blue moon, but since that's all we've got, I'd like to see as many resources as possible focused in that direction.

McHale and Taylor are making their way out of The Dave Sliznewski Dog House and I pray that they make it because I love this team and want nothing more than to watch the players and staff succeed.

No comments: