September 1, 2009

No jersey for Dave Sniznawski... yet

Well, it's official. Mr. Rubio is staying in Spain for 2 more years. He'll be 20 when he comes to play in the Great White North, and by then, we will have gone through two horrible losing seasons.

BUT!

Kahn! knows how to draft them, and we'll be sitting pretty good with young talent and contracts, so this doesn't hurt as bad. The simple facts are that it is what it is, and we can't change it, so it doesn't do any good to talk about the "what ifs". "If Rubio came to the Wolves this year they would sell more tickets and I would eat fried ham at the fair and BURRRRRRRRR" Whatever. Tickets aren't the problem. The Marlins routinely compete for division championships in front of 300 fans. The problem is success... long-term success. People don't go to games to see the hot new rookie who can't shoot. They go to see a team who is good at basketball play another team that is good at basketball and hopefully beat them.

Kahn! handled this as best he could, and I sure would've liked to see Rubio next year, but now we know, and that's that. We'll move into the season with an untested group of young kids and see what we can do. Gone are the Antoine Walkers of the world, and that is a good thing. The roster appears somewhat set, so let's begin.

1 comment:

Jake MacDonald said...

This doesn't bother me at all. I mean, I'm short on cash right now, so I don't know if I could afford to blow $100 on a Rubio jersey right now anyways. This gives us a chance to see what Jonny Flynn's sac is really made of - I'm guessing sheet metal and screws.

Skip "I can't do nothing but yet about nothing because I don't know nothing" Bayliss had a field day with this today, but I like when he swears by things. Most of the time, he's wrong. Dead wrong.

I just hope they work out a way for us Minnesota fans to watch an occasional Rubio game here in the States. Might be worth showing on TV instead of an actual Wolves game, on occasion anyways.

There's going to be a lot of high pick-and-rolling going on this year either way. I see a lot of mid-range jumpers and dunks in our future.

I'll be disappointed if Big Al doesn't take a basket down at some point this season.